About the Claretian Volunteers
Claretian Volunteers come from diverse backgrounds to share in the work and missionary spirit of Claretian men and women throughout the world. Claretian Volunteers minister with creativity and flexibility to varied populations, emphasizing service to the poor and oppressed and going where they are needed the most. Claretian Volunteers seek to both empower and journey with all people, always aware that they learn while they are leading, that they are served while they are serving.
By growing as servant-leaders, Claretian Volunteers strive within the context of a Catholic faith community to live the values of the Gospel, emphasizing service and ministry, Christian community, spiritual growth, and simple living in solidarity with the poor and people on the margins of society.
Ministry and community life are expressions of the spirituality of Claretian Volunteers. The spirituality of the individual and the community enrich and strengthen each other as individuals come together in common prayer and community worship. It is the integration of ministry, community, spirituality, and simple living that allows Claretian Volunteers to work toward the advancement of peace, justice, and compassion in the world.
- Commitment to serve for one year in the United States (renewable)
- Single people or married couples (no dependents)
- 21-29 years of age
- College degree or equivalent work experience required (transcripts required)
- Motivated by Christian values and willingness to participate in a Catholic environment
- Completion of application, reference forms and interview process
- Willingness to live simply and share daily life with other volunteers
- Flexibility and desire to grow
- Room and board in community with other volunteers
- Monthly stipend
- Health insurance
- Transportation to and from placement city
- Transportation during year for work and community
- Retreats, spiritual direction and other resources
- Student loan deferments granted for most positions
- Americorps Education Awards Available for most positions
- Help with readjustment and transition at end of service.