Who we are
The Claretian Missionaries Archives is the official repository for all non-current materials produced by or associated with the Claretian Missionaries of the Eastern Province, an international Roman Catholic religious order of men bringing the Word of God and the Church’s sacraments to the world. The Eastern Province’s major focus is the sponsorship of Latino and urban ministries.
The primary mission of the Claretian Missionaries Archives is to identify, collect, preserve, arrange, describe and make available records documenting the rich history and traditions of the Province’s apostolates. In addition, the Archives holds materials relating to the National Shrine of St. Jude, the St. Jude League, the St. Jude Police League, and Claretian Publications. The holdings of the Archives include manuscripts, printed, audio and visual materials dating from the 1920s.
Devotees at the
Saint Jude National Shrine,
South Chicago, IL, 1951
Historical record of the Province
Since its incorporation in Chicago in 1924, the Claretians have staffed Our Lady of Guadalupe Church in South Chicago [1924- ], St. Francis of Assisi Church on Roosevelt Road [1925-1994], Holy Cross/Immaculate Heart of Mary Church in the Back of the Yards [1948-] and St. Paul's Church [1987-2009] in Pilsen. Outside of Chicago, Claretian priests and brothers continue to sponsor Our Lady of Fatima Church [1948- ] in Perth Amboy, NJ, Sacred Heart Church [1981-2009] in Springfield, MO, and Corpus Christi Church [1992- ] in Stone Mountain, GA. In the past Claretians have served at St. Mary of Sorrows Church in Fairfax, VA [1969-1990], St. Anthony Claret Church [1954-1993] in Lakewood, NJ, and Sacred Heart Church [1976-2005] in Poplar Bluff, MO From 1966 to 2001, the Eastern Province devoted its energies to missioning North-East Guatemala, Izabal Department. Since 2002, the Chicago Claretians have ministered at Our Lady of Angels Church in Kingston, Jamaica.
Claretian priests and brothers have also been involved in Catholic Campus ministry and
currently sponsor the Catholic Campus Center at Missouri State University [1981- ] in Springfield, MO. Previously Claretians were assigned to the Catholic chaplaincy programs at the State University of New York at Stonybrook [1966-1975] and Louisiana State University [1965-1979].
St. Jude Police March,
South Chicago, IL,
May 23, 1943
In addition to these apostolates, the Chicago Claretians also sponsor the National Shrine of St. Jude and Claretian Publications. In 1932, the Claretians initiated the formation of the St. Jude Police League.
The National Shrine of St. Jude was established by Father James Tort, CMF in February 1929 at Our Lady of Guadalupe Church and devotion quickly became popular throughout the United States.
The Archives' collection documents the founding and growth of the devotion,
Catholic Instruction League Christmas Party
Chicago Box Car Camp, December 1926
Father James Tort, CMF in center
including a complete run of the Voice of St. Jude magazine, which popularized the devotion as well as educating Catholics about current concerns. In 1963, the magazine changed its name to US Catholic, focusing on contemporary issues facing American Catholicism. It currently boasts over 40,000 subscribers. Recently the Voice of St. Jude [1935-1963] and US Catholic [1963-1968] was microfilmed and indexed according to Library of Congress Subject Headings. The microfilm is available for purchase through the Archives. In 1968, University Microfilms [UMI] of Ann Arbor, MI assumed responsibility for microfilming US Catholic and copies may be obtained from UMI or at your local library.The St. Jude Police League, a religious organization for members of the Greater Chicago law enforcement community was established by the Claretians in 1932. From 1932 to 1981, a Claretian priest served as the Chicago Police Chaplain. The Archives holds a variety of materials documenting this organization.
Voice of St. Jude
Vol. 1, No. 1
Claretian Publications developed from the publication of the Voice of St. Jude. The Archives' serial collection also includes other Claretian publications on Latino, social justice and religious issues. In 1991, the Hispanic Ministry Resource Center was established to prepare and publish materials directed to a United States Latino audience. The Archives holds the historical records of Claretian Publications.
The Archives also includes a rich photograph collection of materials that document the life of the province, the St. Jude Devotion, St. Jude Police League and Claretian Publications.
Restrictions on use
While the Claretian Missionaries Archives makes every effort to make materials available to researchers, many records and collections may be viewed at the originating office only.
The Archives welcomes donations of any materials related to the Claretian parishes, St. Jude devotion, St. Jude League, St. Jude Police League, and Claretian Publications. Any gift would assist us in documenting the Claretian presence in Chicago and throughout the United States.
Hours, location, contact information
The Claretian Missionaries Archives welcomes visitors. It is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. An appointment is required to use the Archives. Malachy R. McCarthy, Ph.D. serves as the Province Archivist. He can be reached at the archive number 312-236-7782, ext 412, fax 312-236-7230, or by e-mail at email@example.com
The Archives is located at the St. Jude League/Claretian Publications building located at 205 West Monroe Avenue in Chicago. The building is in the heart of Chicago’s Loop and is easily accessible by the CTA, Amtrak or Metra rail lines.